Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hara Bhara Chana

Since the time i landed in USA(its been 6 months now) i was craving for Methi (Fenugreek leaves) and recently saw them in one of the Indian stores.... I grabbed more than my hands could hold as if there is no tomorrow.....

Later i cleaned, washed and packed them in Ziploc and stored them in freezer so they stay fresh for longer period. Last 1-2 days i was bored of making a typical Indian Maharashtrian dinner and thought of trying something in my Laboratory (my kitchen). As i was going through my refrigerator and thinking what all i have and what can i cook which will add some variety to that monotonous dinner... there in freezer i saw my very fav Methi... i thought for a sec what should i add to this to make it special....Chhole (or Chana) came to my mind....Ok Richa time to give it a try.... So here it goes my very own, very very simple, healthy Hara Bhara Chana (its a Fancy name) if you want a simple one then "Methi-Chana" would work but i'm happy with Hara Bhara Chana (gives me a feeling that i cooked something which you can eat in restaurants :P ).... but that's me !!!

Well, this time i tried a different mode of my camera to capture the right shot but alas I'm bad at it and that's my new year resolution - to learn Food Photography....
till then try making this recipe and enjoy it with whatever you like...


Ingredients:
Chhole (Kabuli chana) - soaked overnight and boiled - 1 cup
Methi (Fenugreek leaves) - a bunch
Onions - finely chopped - 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds - pinch
Kokum - 1 or 2
Turmeric powder - 1 tspn
Red Chilli powder - as per taste
Garam Masala - as per taste
Salt - as per taste
Oil - 1 or 2 tspn

Method:
1] Add oil to the heated pan, add mustard seeds once oil is hot. Let them pop.
2] Add chopped onions and saute for 2 mins.
3] Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt to this. Saute it.
4] Add boiled Chhole (Kabuli Chana) and saute for 2-3 mins. Add Kokum and saute.
5] Add Methi (Fenugreek leaves) to this, saute and let it cook for 5 mins without putting the lid on the pan.

Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy this with roti / paratha.
It is a very light sabji which can be made in 5 mins and is healthy too. It has green veggies, less oil and less spices. We loved it and ended up eating it like a snack.

Enjoy !

0 comments: